12/01/2012

December 1st

01
the first window opens. Technically it's little doors in Germany, but windows are cute too ^__^

I'd love to know about your advent traditions!
I need to admit that I'm a little bit proud that the advent calendar origins in Germany.
I grew up with a calendar my mom made each year for us, me and my brother. She had cross-stitches a huge picture that showed some christmas related things and the numbers one to twenty-four beneath it. Each year she hung up little packages below it, one for each day including a little gift for us, sometimes it was something chocolaty sometimes something more useful like even pencils. We loved sitting in the hallway shaking each present and guessing what could be inside.
On sundays the advent wreath got lit one more candle and slowly Christmas Eve turned closer and closer. Now I don't get myself a calendar each year, it does depend on my mood. This year however I couldn't resist when I saw one with smurfs on it. And guess how grinning I was when I found it even had chocolates with smurfs cast on them (I was too quick eating it to take a picture).
I don't have a tree this year but I decorated quite a bit:
eins
click on the picture to see it laaaarge
have a lovely first of December, hugs, Diana

oh, we even had snow today:
photo-2012-12-01-12-28-26-440

4 Kommentare:

  1. Diana, what lovely post it is! Loving every bit of your decorations! I havent' done anything yet, but going to do asap.
    Well, we don't have advent calendar in Russian tradition, but you know it happens naturally when you start counting days till Christmas and then New Year... our Orthodox Christmas is on the 7th of Jan actually, but my family celebrates both as my uncle lives in Germany, so it's kind of became our tradition too :)
    Love the picture of the snow... especially with green leaves and a berry... which plant is this?
    Have a nice Sunday!
    Hugs, Anna.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Hi Anna, thanks so much :)

      the plant with the red berry is called Gaultheria procumbens, I don't know the english name. In German it's called Scheinbeere and botanically it is Gaultheria.

      oh, you're lucky, celebrating twice ;P

      have a nice weekend, Diana

      Löschen
    2. Thanks! Now I know that we don't have this plant here...:)I am lucky, celebrating all possible holidays (indian as well).
      Have a nice weekend too!

      Löschen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.